Monday, February 18, 2008

Simian Mobile Disco

Last week I went with a friend to a gig by Simian Mobile Disco, one of the few bands that she likes that I don't object to. I remember seeing their video Believe on YouTube last year and being really impressed because I thought it was actually done and sung by the Romanian destitute peasants that figure in it.
I enjoyed most of the show, but was really puzzled by the fact that I have no idea what the two guys on stage were doing. They seemed very busy turning knobs and stuff in what looked like an island counter in an alien spaceship's kitchen, but if they were just mixing prerecorded stuff, why did they even need to be there? Well, aside from looking cool in the dry ice and lighting effects while they cranked it to 11.
Another effect of ageing is that every time I go to a gig (not very often) I feel less and less part of the crowd. They look younger and more strangely dressed every time - I know I was a teenage rebel back in the day and dressed the part, but what's up with a flanel pijama with a strawberry motif accessorised with glow-in-the dark necklace? What the fuck, kids? Maybe it's a super hip Grampa-on-Acid look and I just don't have a clue.
A few more years and I'll be chewing a denture and complaining that back in my day we had real music, Sex Pistols, Ramones... TUNES, dammit! TUNES! Oh well, at least I still like Simian Mobile Disco, even if it's played by two strange guys on a futuristic kitchen unit instead of a village of poor peasants. Also, on the upside, I can now be mathematically sure that I do not suffer from photosensitive epylepsia, or I wouldn't be here to write this after that gig.

6 comments:

Diogo Almeida said...

Try "The National". Nice, relaxing music :).

djbumrush said...

My fav SMD song is Hustler, and they do some really good remixes. I might actually go see them tomorrow at the Museum of Natural History in NYC. Funny that I saw this here. Keep up the great work!

Gianna said...

Don't forget to eat dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets at the Dinersaurus if you go! (best named cafeteria in the world)

Diogo Almeida said...

:O! Indeed...

Tani said...

Holy crap. I just went to their site and then immediately to Amazon to pick up the album (not the singles, I'll get to those lol). SO GOOD.

Anonymous said...

I'd say today's fashion is more encouraging people to find their own style, someone wanted to really break out it seems. Perhaps they even wished to be seen by the band or just wanted to impress their friends with the integrity they carry.

Because face it, today's integrity is clothes and that is why today's fashion is so egalitarian these days.

You just gotta go with the flow, be more open and you should do well :)